Donnerstag, 3. April 2014

Inspiration Thursday: Morning Routines

Do you have a special morning routine? Something that you do every morning like a ritual to prepare you for the day?

For some weeks now I've been following a beautiful morning routine: when I get up in the morning I almost immediately grab my notebook and a pencil (which are always lying near my bed) and I'm writing three pages. Without thinking too much, I just empty my head of all the random thoughts that are coming into my mind. After that I feel much more clearer and ready for the tasks of the day.

Of course, these morning pages, as many of you know, are not my invention but part of the inspiring book: "The Artist's way" ("Der Weg des Künstlers") by Julia Cameron. I have read it some years ago and now I rediscovered it and felt ready to really integrate this morning routine into my life.


Especially when there are so many things going on in your life, it's really helping to get all sorts of thoughts written down in the morning. It clears your mind and makes you more open for your creativity. I try not to judge what I write. Sometimes I fill the pages with big letters, sometimes I write a lot with tiny, almost unreadable letters. I just write, three pages, that's all and then I start the day with a  a glass of warm water, a shower, and all the preparations I have to make for my family. As I'm always the first to get up in the morning (which is quite hard for me because I am absolutely NOT a morning person) the house is still quite and it's a perfect moment for writing my three pages in complete solitude and stillness.

If you want to learn more about the morning pages you can find a short video by Julia Cameron speaking about them here.

So, do you have any particular morning routines? Do you meditate, make sports or read your newspaper first thing in the morning? Share your morning routine with me!

PS.: It's not my handwriting you can see in the photo but that of my French grand-father. He was a gourmet and collected interesting recipes in a notebook. I loved to use his handwriting for illustrating the morning pages (which could possibly be filled with recipes if that was the thing you had on your mind while writing them ;-).

1 Kommentar:

  1. Super Idee, ja kann ich wohl nachvollziehen...ich bin auch immer die erste die aufsteht :-)

    AntwortenLöschen